Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Episode #388 Part II: Superman Family Comic Book Cover Dated October 1965: 80 Page Giant #15!

80 Page Giant 15, October 1965!


Download Episode 388 Part II!

80 PAGE GIANT 15, October 1965, was published on August 12, 1965. As the title indicates, it contained 80 pages for the cover price of 25¢. Jack Schiff was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and Dick Sprang, and inked by Stan Kaye. This was the final 80 PAGE GIANT of the series. In the future, 80 Page Giants would be individual issues of their respective series.

- (7:16) THE CONTEST OF HEROES (10 pgs.), written by Bill Finger according to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Edmond Hamilton as the writer. The story was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, and was first published in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 74, the January/February 1954 issue, released around November 26, 1954. It was also reprinted in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVES vol. I, BATMAN & SUPERMAN IN WORLD'S FINEST COMICS: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS and vol. I of the trade paperback. We first covered this story back in Episode 165 for the week of February 9, 2011.

- (20:28) THE THREE SUPER-MUSKETEERS (12 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. This story first appeared in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 82, May/June 1956, originally published around March 22, 1956. It was also reprinted in THE GREATEST TEAM-UP STORIES EVER TOLD, WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST vol. I. We first covered this story in Episode 191 for the week of August 10, 2011.

- (33:11) SUPERMAN'S AND BATMAN'S GREATEST FOES (12 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. It was first published in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 88, May/June 1957, released around March 21, 1957. This story was also reprinted in BATMAN: FROM THE 30'S TO THE 70'S, THE GREATEST JOKER STORIES EVER TOLD, STACKED DECK: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD, WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. II, SUPERMAN/BATMAN: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST vol. I and LEX LUTHOR: CELEBRATING 75 YEARS. We first covered this story back in Episode 216 for the week of February 1, 2012.

- (46:45) THE DAY SUPERMAN BETRAYED BATMAN (12 pgs.), written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. It first appeared in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 97, October 1958, published on August 26, 1958. This story was also reprinted in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. I and BATMAN & SUPERMAN IN WORLD'S FINEST COMICS: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS and vol. I of the trade paperback edition of this volume.We covered this story back in Episode 251 for the week of December 12, 2002.

- (1:02:20) THE TRUE HISTORY OF SUPERMAN AND BATMAN (12 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and lettered by Stan Kaye. This story was first published in WORLD' S FINEST COMICS 81, March/April 1956, released on June 26, 1956. It was also reprinted in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. I, BATMAN IN THE FIFTIES, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST vol. I and BATMAN & SUPERMAN IN WORLD'S FINEST COMICS: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS and vol. I of the trade paperback of this volume. We first covered this story in Episode 187 for the week of July 13, 2011.

- (1:13:24) THE BATTLE OF THE SUPER-HEROES (12 pgs.), written by Dave Wood according to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Bill Finger as the writer. The penciller was Dick Sprang. According to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics the inker was Ray Burnley, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Stan Kaye as the inker. It was first released in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 95, July/August 1958, published on May 22, 1958. This story was also reprinted in WORLD'S FINEST ARCHIVE vol. II, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST vol. I and BATMAN & SUPERMAN IN WORLD'S FINEST COMICS: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS and vol. I of the trade paperback of this edition. We first covered this story back in Episode 245 for the week of October 24, 2012.

Also highlighted in this episode are the issue's ads and other features.

Next Episodes: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED OCTOBER 1965: PART III: SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 60, PART IV: ACTION COMICS 329 & PART v: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 88!

Then we will cover: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1965: PART I: WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 153, PART II: SUPERMAN 181, PART III: SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 61 & PART IV: ACTION COMICS 330!


The home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on TumblrMediumFlipboard, the Internet Archivetunein and Stitcher.

SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of:



The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com"Plans in Motion" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.

If you are interested in my artwork, go to wayfarerercomics.wordpress.com. I am available for commissions, so click on the Art Commissions tab for more information. If interested, send an e-mail to wayfarercomics@gmail.com.

Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!

And don't forget to take care of each other out there!

3 comments:

  1. Ah! 80-Page Giants! How I loved them! 6 stories for just a penny more than the cost of two comics! And what stories! Tales from those long-ago days before I could read, sometimes from way back before I was even born!
    In this issue, my favorite story was "Superman's and Batman's Greatest Foes". Who could resist the World's Finest team facing off against Luthor and the Joker? I think this very 80-Page Giant was the first time I read that one, and it was thrilling to my then 9-year old self. Aside from the villains' plot, that Jokermobile was terrific! Of course, now, as an adult, this becomes one of those plots that must have cost Luthor and the Joker more to manufacture the Mechano-Men than they'd likely have made by using them to rob the Sub-Treasury. In fact, they could probably have made more money by renting the Mechano-Men out.
    My other favorite story in this issue was "The Three Super-Musketeers". The idea of Superman, Batman, and Robin taking the places of the Three Musketeers, having swashbuckling adventures, and solving a historical mystery was great, and this sort of story certainly fueled my love of great literature. How many of us Silver Age fans came to a basic knowledge of literature, mythology, and science through comic book stories? I also enjoyed the time-travel aspect of the story, although, when I first saw this story, I was already well-versed in Superman's time-travel under his own power, so I was initially confused by the use of Professor Nichols for the time-travelling. By the way, I loved your idea that, when Batman and Robin were climbing up the wall, maybe someone could have popped out of a window to engage them in conversation, as in the Adam West TV series. That made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was writing my notes I was thinking about your point that the Mechano-Men probably were more expensive than the funds in the Sub-Treasury, but it slipped my mind when I got to that part of the story. The Luthor/Joker story reminded me of the Superman story where Luthor, Prankster and Toyman, drawn by classic 1950's Superman artist Wayne Boring. I don't remember my first 80 Page Giant. Like you they were a special treat as a young boy who learned how to read in the mid-1960's. I wish I could remember the first 80 Page Giant I read. One that sticks in my memory was the Bizarro World 80 Page Giant that was an issue of the Superman series. I saw the ad for it in another DC comic book and was thrilled when I saw it in what I believe was a pharmacy in Ocala, Florida, and talked my Dad into buying it for me.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete