Saturday, February 16, 2019

Episode #387: Superman 2018: The Year In Review!




Download Episode 387!

In this episode I continue our annual tradition and review the Superman titles I read the previous year.

- (5:36) SUPERMAN 36 -44
             SUPERMAN 36: IMPERIOUS LEX Part IV of IV: LIBERATION,
             SUPERMAN 37: SUPER SONS OF TOMORROW Part I: DARK OF THE SUN (NOTE: This storyline was a crossover with other titles which I did not read.)
             SUPERMAN 38: SUPER SONS OF TOMORROW Part IV: INTO THE LIGHT
             SUPERMAN 39: GOODNIGHT MOON
             SUPERMAN 40 & 41: THE LAST DAYS Parts I & II
             SUPERMAN 42: BIZARROVERSE Part I: FATHER OF BOYZARRO
             SUPERMAN 43: BIZARROVERSE Part II: BLACK MIRRORS
             SUPERMAN 44: BIZARROVERSE Part III: AS A FAMILY WE GO
             SUPERMAN 45: TRUTH, JUSTICE, FAMILY wrapped up the run by the creative team before Brian Michael Bendis took over as the main writer of the Superman titles.

- (10:21) ACTION COMICS 994 - 999
               ACTION COMICS 994 - 998 BOOSTER SHOT Parts II - VI
               ACTION COMICS 999: WHAT WOULD SUPERMAN DO? wraps up Dan Jurgens run as the writer of ACTION COMICS before Brian Michael Bendis took over as main title.

- (30:05) SUPERMAN SPECIAL 1 & ACTION COMICS SPECIAL 1

- (37:35) MAN OF STEEL 1 - 6 mini-series

- (46:41) SUPERMAN 1-5: THE UNITY SAGA Parts I - V

- (53:40) ACTION COMICS 1000 - 1005
               ACTION COMICS 1000: FROM THE CITY THAT HAS EVERYTHING
                                                         NEVER ENDING BATTLE
                                                         AN ENEMY WITHIN
                                                        THE CAR
                                                        THE FIFTH SEASON
                                                        OF TOMORROW
                                                        FIVE MINUTES
                                                        ACTIONLAND
                                                        FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET
                                                        THE TRUTH is the first Superman story written by new Man Of Steel writer Brian Michael Bendis.
                 ACTION COMICS 1001 - 1005: INVISIBLE MAFIA Parts I - V.

Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED October 1965: Part I: SUPERMAN 180, PART II: 80 PAGE GIANT 15 (starring Superman and Batman), PART III: SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE 60. PART IV: ACTION COMICS 329 & PART V: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 88!


The home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on TumblrMediumFlipboard, the Internet Archivetunein and Stitcher.

SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of:



The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com"Plans in Motion" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.

If you are interested in my artwork, go to wayfarerercomics.wordpress.com. I am available for commissions, so click on the Art Commissions tab for more information. If interested, send an e-mail to wayfarercomics@gmail.com.

Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!

And don't forget to take care of each other out there!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed 2018 as a good year in Superman reading. As the 80th anniversary year, it certainly should have been a good one. I didn't read most of what you did, but Action Comics #1000 brought me back to comic reading after a long period of very sporadic reading. I very much enjoyed that book, so I decided to give Brian Michael Bendis a chance, reading the new Man of Steel miniseries, then the issues of Action Comics starting with #1001, and the new volume of Superman, starting with #1. I find that I prefer the Action issues better, but, overall, I'm not really enjoying Bendis' storytelling. I guess it's my age and taste, but I don't care much for the "decompressed" storytelling in which, for example, after the six-issue Man of Steel miniseries and, at this point, 8 issues each of Action and Superman, I still don't feel as if I've gotten even one complete story. I spent too much time in the Silver Age, I guess, when I could read three complete stories in a single issue of either of those comics, but that time is gone for good. I'm not going to be the grumpy old man, telling all the fans of these newer comics to "get off my lawn", but I don't know if I'll keep reading them, myself. That may be a mistake, but it's my mistake, and I will not try to impose my taste on others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing the first issue of John Byrne’s Man Of Steel mini-series on a spinner rack in Waldenbooks at the local mall. It was so different that I put it back because it wasn’t “My Superman”. It wasn’t until a few years later when I picked up The Adventures Of Superman #451, the first time I saw Jerry Ordway’s art, that I was hooked and eventually got the back issues of the reboot. Now it’s my favorite era of the Man Of Steel, mainly because Clark Kent was a real person, not just a meek and mild disguise to hide his Superman identity.

      Delete