Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Episode #392 Part IV: Superman Family Comic Book Cover Dated February 1966: Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #63!

Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane 63, February 1966!


Download Episode 392 Part IV!

SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 63, February 1966, was published on December 23, 1965. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor. On the cover, Superman was drawn by Wayne Boring, while Kurt Schaffenberger drew Lana Lang and Lois Lane.

- (10:17) After reading a comment from last episode, I review the book, PLANET DOONESBURY, 152 pgs., by G. B. Trudeau.

- (14:05) MY PULL LIST, where I review the comic books I read which carried the January 2020 cover date, that were released during the month of November 2019 and I received from Discount Comic Book Service.

- (20:25) THE SATANIC SCHEMES OF S.K.U.L. (25 pgs., Part I was 13 pgs. long), written by Leo Dorfman and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger.

- (32:23) LETTERS TO LOIS column.

- (41:10) Part II: LOIS TEAMS UP WITH LANA (12 pgs.).

- (1:04:44) MEET TV'S LOIS LANE, writer unknown, about actress Noel Neill.

- (1:09:12) Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the February or February/March 1966 cover date, according to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics.

Next Episode: In honor of the recent passing of comic book writer and editor Denny O'Neil: THE SUPERMAN STORIES OF DENNY O'NEIL!

Then we will feature: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MARCH 1966: PART I: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 91, PART II: ACTION COMICS 334 (an 80 Pg. Giant starring Supergirl), PART III: WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 156 & PART IV: ACTION COMICS 335!

The home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on TumblrMediumFlipboard, the Internet ArchivetuneinStitcher and Instagram.

SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of:



The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com"Plans in Motion" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.

If you are interested in my artwork, go to wayfarerercomics.wordpress.com. I am available for commissions, so click on the Art Commissions tab for more information. If interested, send an e-mail to wayfarercomics@gmail.com.

Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!

And don't forget to take care of each other out there.

2 comments:

  1. I have to comment first on the cover of this issue. While I enjoy Wayne Boring's art, it looks a bit jarring to me to see his Superman with Kurt Schaffenberger's Lois and Lana. I don't think the styles really mesh well. I wonder why Mort Weisinger went with that combination.
    I liked the two-part story in this issue, especially the over-the-top organization S.K.U.L., because you know they picked that name just so it would spell out a word that sounds like "skull". I guess they couldn't think of a word to get the second "l". It was pretty clear early on that there was something "off" about Van Benson, but I didn't guess that he was an FBI agent. I thought he might, somehow, be Superman in disguise, even though we saw Clark and Van in the same panel at times. I guess I glossed over the fact that Benson was a master of disguise.
    I particularly liked the friendship and cooperation between Lois and Lana in the second part of the story, Too often, we've seen them be competitive and downright mean to each other, so it's good to see that there really is an underlying friendship there.
    I liked the text piece on Noel Neill, who was a great Lois Lane. I'm not surprised that they re-ran this piece in 1966, when the old Adventures of Superman TV show was being aired again in many TV markets.
    You asked your listeners to chime in with opinions on reading the letter column where it was printed in the comic, rather than after completing the story in the comic. My slight preference is to hear the complete story, if the letter column interrupts a story, but, if it is printed between two separate stories, I'm fine with reading it between the stories. As I say, though, it's a slight preference, so, if other listeners have a different preference, feel free to go with the majority, or with your own preference. I have to say, I found it amusing in this issue's letter column that the reply to the first (complimentary) letter says "One letter like yours makes up for a hundred pointing out boo-boos." and then the very next letter points out a "boo-boo".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main question about Benson is if he is who he says he is. That's the great question this story has set up for the conclusion next issue. Is he a hero infiltrating an evil organisation or a double agent with a nefarious purpose?
      The "Adventures Of Superman" TV show reruns I watched in the early 1960's were my first exposure to the Man Of Steel beyond the comic book page, and may be one reason he's my favorite superhero. As much as I enjoyed Noel Neill as Lois Lane, my favorite actress who portrayed Lois was Phyllis Coates. I think she did the best job of expressing the grit and determination Lois had to get the story.
      After your comment I think I will go back to saving the letter column for the end of the episode.

      Delete