Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Episode #392 Part I: Superman Family Comic Book Cover Dated February 1966: World's Finest Comics #155!

World's Finest Comics 155, February 1966! 


Download Episode 392 Part 1!

WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 155, February 1966, was published on December 9, 1965. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan, inked by George Klein and lettered by Ira Schnapp.

This issue is a special one in my personal comic book collection, because it was the first comic book that I have any memory of my Dad buying for me.

- (5:44) After sharing a comment posted at the end of last week's episode, I review a recent book I read, TERRYTOONS: THE STORY OF PAUL TERRY AND HIS CLASSIC CARTOON FACTORY.

- (7:43) MY PULL LIST segment, where I review the comic books I read which carried the November 2019 cover date, that were released during the month of September and I received from Discount Comic Book Service.

- (15:23) EXIT BATMAN - ENTER NIGHTMAN (18 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Curt Swan, inked by George Klein and lettered by Milt Snappin. Part I was seven pages long, titled THE 1,000th EXPLOIT OF SUPERMAN AND BATMAN.

- (29:45) PART II: THE INCREDIBLE IDENTITY OF NIGHTMAN (11 pgs).

- (56:11) CAPE AND COWL COMMENTS letter column.

- (1:10:51) THE MASK OF FEAR (6 pgs.), writer unknown, was drawn by Ruben Moriera, who signed his name in the title panel. It was originally published as the fourth and final story in HOUSE OF SECRETS 2, January/February 1957, released on November 29, 1956. This story was featured on the cover.

Also highlighted in this episode are the issue's ads and other features.

Next Episodes: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED FEBRUARY 1966: PART II: SUPERMAN 184, PART III: ACTION COMICS 333 & PART IV: SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 63!

Then we will feature: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MARCH 1966: PART I: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 91, PART II: ACTION COMICS 334 (80 Pg. Giant), PART III: WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 156 & PART IV: ACTION COMICS 335!

The home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on TumblrMediumFlipboard, the Internet ArchivetuneinStitcher and Instagram.

SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of:



The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com"Plans in Motion" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.

If you are interested in my artwork, go to wayfarerercomics.wordpress.com. I am available for commissions, so click on the Art Commissions tab for more information. If interested, send an e-mail to wayfarercomics@gmail.com.

Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!

And don't forget to take care of each other out there.

2 comments:

  1. I can certainly see why the cover of this comic would make any kid want to read the story. This new guy, Nightman, beating up Batman and taking his place as Superman's (and, apparently, Robin's) crimefighting pal. Who is he? How can he be better than Batman? Why is Superman okay with this? Of course, from an adult perspective, even if Nightman really is better than Batman, that doesn't mean he'd get to take Batman's place, or that Batman would have to give up fighting crime (The more crimefighters, the better, really.), but, like many Silver Age stories, it plays into kids' fears that maybe their friends will find "better" friends, and abandon them.
    I thought I'd figured this mystery out, when I saw how exhausted Batman was, and how Nightman seemed to show up only when Batman wasn't around, but had the same skills that Batman did, but I wasn't quite right. I thought an exhausted Batman was sort of "sleepwalking" in an alternate crime-fighting identity as Nightman, but I didn't expect that Superman had set it all up by hypnotizing Batman. Yes, it was "Superdickery", but Batman was a good sport about it, as characters were expected to be in those days, and even tried to turn the tables on Superman with a robot to impersonate Nightman.
    I'm glad you covered "The Mask of Fear". I always enjoyed those "twist ending" stories, and this was a good one. I would never have guessed the identity of Major Marouf! Bravo to the unknown writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point that Nightman becoming a crime fighter in Gotham City wouldn't necessarily mean that Batman would have to give up crime fighting. Nightman could take part of the load off Batman's and Robin's shoulders and maybe become partners. Being written for young readers, it does raise the tension for the reader, like I was back then when I first read this story.
      I'm glad you enjoyed "The Mask Of Fear". I couldn't pass it up because it stuck in my memory all of these years, and it was great to read it again. It's amazing what could be done in such a small number of pages to make as impactful of a story as this one was.

      Delete