|Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 33 & World's Finest Comics 98!|
Download Episode 256!
SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 33, December 1958, was published around October 2, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three stories were pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Ray Burnley, and have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II.
- THE LEGENDS THAT CAME TO LIFE (10 pgs.), written by Otto Binder.
- THE LADY KILLER FROM METROPOLIS (8 pgs.), written by Alvin Schwartz.
- THE HUMAN FLAME THROWER (8 pgs.), featured on the cover and written by Otto Binder. This story was also reprinted in 80 PG. GIANT 2, September 1964, and SUPERMAN: THE AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS OF JIMMY OLSEN.
WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 98, December 1958, was published around October 16, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Jack Schiff was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Ray Burnley.
- The 12 page Superman/Batman story was titled THE MENACE OF THE MOONMAN, written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST vol. I.
- Tomahawk starred in the 6 page story, THE STRANGE HERO OF FORT MASON, drawn by Fred Ray.
- Green Arrow and Speedy starred in the 6 page story, THE UNMASKED ARCHERS, written by Ed Herron, pencilled by Jack Kirby and inked by Roz Kirby.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 33 titles carried the December or December 1958/January 1958 cover date, according to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics. These titles were covered back in Episode 178.
Next Episode: BOOK REVIEW: SUPERMAN: THE HIGH FLYING HISTORY OF AMERICA'S MOST ENDURING HERO, WRITTEN BY LARRY TYE!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1961: SUPERMAN 149 & ACTION COMICS 281!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I'm drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!