|Superman #146 & Action Comics #278!|
Download Episode 246!
SUPERMAN 146, July 1961, was published on May 4, 1961. It contained 32 pages, still for the cover price of 10¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Sheldon Moldoff.
- THE STORY OF SUPERMAN'S LIFE (12 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was reprinted in 80 PG. GIANT 8 MORE SECRET ORIGINS, March 1965 (published on January 14, 1965), and a replica edition of this issue published in 1999, SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES, DC UNIVERSE: SECRET ORIGINS and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
Physics Professor James Kakalios has some interesting observations about Krypton and what could make it explode, as detailed in his book, THE PHYSICS OF SUPERHEROES. To listen to a few podcast interviews with Professor Kakalios, click here.
- SUPERMAN'S GREATEST FEATS (13 pgs.), was written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Al Plastino, and was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III. This was Siegel's 30th silver age Superman story, and his 70th overall for this era. Previously, he wrote THE SHAME OF THE BIZARRO FAMILY, published in ADVENTURE COMICS 285, June 1961 (published on April 27, 1961). It was pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye, and was the first in a series of stories under the banner TALES OF THE BIZARRO WORLD.
ACTION COMICS 278, July 1961, was published on May 31, 1961. It contained 32 pages still for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, who were the art team for the Superman story in this issue.
- THE SUPER POWERS OF PERRY WHITE (13 pgs.), was written by Jerry Coleman, and was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS:SUPERMAN vol. III.
- Supergirl starred in the 13 page story, THE UNKNOWN SUPERGIRL, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney, which was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I. This was Jerry's 42nd silver age Superman Family story, and his 71st overall for this era. Previously, he wrote THE UNWANTED SUPER-TOT, drawn by George Papp and published in SUPERBOY 90, July 1961.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 26 titles carried the July or July/August 1961 cover date, according to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED AUGUST 1958: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 30!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN ANNUAL 3!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I'm drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!