|Giant Superman Annual #1!|
Download Episode #234!
GIANT SUPERMAN ANNUAL 1, published with the DC titles carrying the January 1961 cover date, was published around November 10, 1960. It contained 80 pages for the cover price of 25¢. (Today, that would be the equivalent of $1.92, which won't buy an 80 page comic these days.) The Superman titles which carried the January 1961 cover date were covered in Episode 232. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. 6 Superman stories were reprinted in this Annual:
- THE INVULNERABLE ENEMY (12 pgs.), originally published in ACTION COMICS 226, March 1957, released around January 29, 1957. Otto Binder was the writer, Wayne Boring pencilled the art and Stan Kay was the inker.
- THE MENACE OF METALLO (12 pgs.), originally published in ACTION COMICS 252, May 1959, released around March 31, 1959. (This issue is better known for the first Supergirl story which was the third and final story of the issue.) Robert Bernstein wrote this first Metallo story, which was drawn by Al Plastino. This story was previously covered in Episode 188.
- TITANO THE SUPER APE (8 pgs.), originally published in SUPERMAN 127, February 1959, released around December 18, 1958. This story was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye, and was originally covered in Episode 182.
- THE THING FROM 40,000 A. D. (10 pgs.), originally published in SUPERMAN 87, February 1954, released around December 11, 1953. It was written by bill finger, pencilled by Wayne boring and inked by Stan Kaye.
- THE BOY OF STEEL VS THE THING OF STEEL (24 pgs.), originally published in SUPERBOY 68, October 1958, released around August 21, 1958. This first Bizarro story was written by Otto Binder and drawn by George Papp. It was covered in Episode 67.
- THE SUPER DUEL IN SPACE (13 pgs), originally published in ACTION COMICS 242, July 1958, released around May 29, 1958. This first Brainiac story was previously covered in Episode 162. It was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED FEBRUARY 1958: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 26!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED FEBRUARY 1961: SUPERMAN 143 & ACTION COMICS 273!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I'm drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!