|Superman #142 & Action Comics #272!|
Download Episode #232!
SUPERMAN 142, January 1961, was published on November 3, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
- LOIS LANE'S SECRET HELPER (8 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. This story was also reprinted in LIMITED COLLECTOR'S EDITION C-31 (1974). To learn more about the Superman painting used for the cover, click here.
- SUPERMAN MEETS AL CAPONE (8 pgs.), written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES.
- FLAME DRAGON FROM KRYPTON (10 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This was Siegel's 20th silver age Superman story, and the 51st overall in this era.
ACTION COMICS 272, January 1961, was published around November 29, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor. The cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, who were the art team for the Superman story in this issue.
- SUPERMAN'S RIVAL MENTAL MAN (13 pgs.) was written by Jerry Siegel. This was his 21st silver age Superman story, and his 52nd overall during this era. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
- THE SECOND SUPERGIRL (13 pgs.) was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney. It was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 27 titles carried the January or January/February 1961 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JANUARY/FEBRUARY 1958: WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 92!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN ANNUAL 2!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I'm drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!