Download Episode 200!
SUPERMAN 133, November 1959, was published around September 17, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three 9 page stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I, and were the final stories of that reprint edition.
- THE SUPER LUCK OF BADGE 77: written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino.
- HOW PERRY WHITE HIRED CLARK KENT (AN UNTOLD TALE OF SUPERMAN, the sixth Superman story so labeled): written by Jerry Siegel (his first silver age Superman story and his return to the character he co-created) and drawn by Al Plastino.
- SUPERMAN JOINS THE ARMY: written by jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.
ACTION COMICS 258, November 1959, was published around September 29, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, featuring Supergirl in only her second cover appearance, after ACTION 252.
- THE MENACE OF COSMIC MAN was written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. It was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II, and was the first story of that reprint edition.
- Congo Bill made his 9th appearance as Congorilla in the 6 page story CONGORILLA GOES TO WAR, written by Robert Bernstein and drawn by Howard Sherman.
- Supergirl's cover featured story was titled, SUPERGIRL'S FAREWELL TO EARTH. This 8 page story was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney. It was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 30 titles carried the November or November/December 1959 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED OCTOBER 1956: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 16! (With another update about DC's 5,000 prize Slogan Contest.)
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED DECEMBER 1959: ACTION COMICS 259!
The SLIPSTREAM web comic book, written by FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS podcast co-host Jeffrey Taylor and drawn by yours truly, will premiere in November 2011 at http://clockworkcomicsslipstream.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post.html. Thanks to SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE .com contributor Adam Dechanel for putting the website together.
Also, if you know the original publication information for a Superman story involving his alien zoo at his Fortress of Solitude, reprinted in the 1970 SUPERMAN BUMPER BOOK, a UK Superman hardcover anthology, post it in comments or through the contact information below.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast. Thanks to Eric Manix, Steve Rogers, J. David Weder and Michael Bradley for joining the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST facebook group!
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to email@example.com.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.