|World's Finest Comics 146, December 1964!|
WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 146, December 1964, was published on October 22, 1964. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan, inked by George Klein and lettered by Ira Schnapp.
- (3:35) In honor of not only the publication of ACTION COMICS 100, but also the publication of ACTION COMICS 1 on April 18, 1938, we begin the episode with a special edition of ELSEWHERE IN DC COMICS, thanks to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics. This time we feature the 4 titles DC Comics, then known as Detective Comics, Inc., published with the June 1938 cover date. While I briefly feature the main features in each title, I don't go into detail about the creator credits, except for a few notable exceptions. Overall, a total of 12 titles were published by a grand total of five other comic book companies. The majority were compilations of various newspaper comic strips. I don't go into great detail about these strips, except for highlighting some of the more famous and historic comic strips featured in these issues.
- (21:13) BATMAN, SON OF KRYPTON (17 pages, part I being 8 pages long), written by Edmond Hamilton and pencilled by Curt Swan. According to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics, George Klein was the inker, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Sheldon Moldoff as the inker. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD'S FINEST vol. III.
- (33:07) Part II: THE DESTROYER OF KRYPTON (9 pgs.).
- (56:37) CAPE AND COWL COMMENTS letter column
- (1:04:56) THE UNKNOWN SUPER-DEEDS (8 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was originally published as the third and final story in SUPERMAN 131, August 1959, released on June 18, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. On the title panel in its original publication, it was subtitled AN UNTOLD STORY OF SUPERMAN. It was the fourth "untold" Superman story we had covered on the podcast to that point. In this reprint the circle blurb instead said "Surprise Feature".
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue's ads and other features.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED DECEMBER 1964 PART III: ACTION COMICS 319 and the feature ELSEWHERE IN DC COMICS, where we highlight the other DC titles which carried the December or December 1964/January 1965 cover date.
Then we will feature: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JANUARY 1965: PART I: SUPERMAN 174, PART II: SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 54, PART III: 80-PAGE GIANT 6 (starring Superman), PART IV: ACTION COMICS 320 & PART V: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 82.