|Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #3 & World's Finest Comics #95!|
Download Episode 245!
SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 3, July/August 1958, was published around May 15, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three 8 page stories were drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, and were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II and LOIS LANE ARCHIVE vol. I.
- THE RAINBOW SUPERMAN (8 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. This story was also reprinted in, SUPERMAN ANNUAL 8, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II and SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE ARCHIVES vol. I.
- THE MAN WHO WAS CLARK KENT'S DOUBLE was written by Jerry Coleman, according to the Grand Comic Book Database, while Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics does not list a writer. This story was reprinted in LOIS LANE ANNUAL 1, Summer 1962, published around June 7, 1962.
- LOIS LANE AND THE BABE OF STEEL was also written by Jerry Coleman, according the the comics.org website, while dcindexes.com again lists no writer for this story.
WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 95, July/August 1958, was published around May 27, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Jack Schiff, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
The 12 page Superman/Batman story was titled, THE BATTLE OF THE SUPERHEROES, written by Dave Wood, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Ray Burnley. This story was reprinted in 80 PAGE GIANT 15, October 1965 (published around August 19, 1965), WORLD'S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORD'S FINEST vol. I.
The two 6 page stories which filled out this issue starred:
- Tomahawk in, THE INDIAN TROUBADOUR, drawn by Fred Ray.
- Green Arrow in, GREEN ARROW vs RED DART, drawn by George Papp.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the July or July/August cover date. These issues were covered in Episode 162, which also featured the first Brainiac story in ACTION COMICS 242. If you would like to explore the other DC titles which were published this month, click here, for the corresponding page at the MIKE'S AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS website.
I also discuss DC's and Marvel's habit of spoiling major plot points of their titles just before their release to garner publicity, as well as the Halloween ComicFest, which my local comic book shop, Acme Comics, participated in this past Saturday.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JULY 1961: SUPERMAN 146 & ACTION COMICS 278!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED AUGUST 1958: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 30!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I'm drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!