|Superman #143 & Action Comics #273!|
Download Episode #236!
SUPERMAN 143, February 1961, was published around December 15, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. According to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics, this issue had a circulation of 810,000. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, featuring the issue's third and final story. All three stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
- THE GREAT SUPERMAN HOAX (9 pgs.), written by Robert Bernstein, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.
- LOIS LANE'S LUCKY DAY (8 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel and inked by John Forte. This was Siegel's 22nd silver age Superman story, and his 54th overall in this era. Before this story, he also wrote SUPERBOY AND THE MERMAID FROM ATLANTIS, published in ADVENTURE COMICS 280.
- BIZARRO MEETS FRANKENSTEIN (9 pgs.), featured on this issue's cover, was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES.
ACTION COMICS 273, February 1961, was published around December 29, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime, and its circulation was 458,000.
- The10 page Superman story was titled THE WORLD OF MR. MXYZPTLK, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II. It was Jerry Siegel's 23rd silver age Superman story and the 55th overall.
- The 13 page Supergirl story was titled THE SUPERGIRL OF TWO WORLDS, written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney. It was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, thanks to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics, 30 titles carried the February or February/March 1961 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MARCH 1958: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 27, SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 1 & WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 93!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1961: ACTION COMICS 274!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I'm drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
- The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!