Download Episode 198!
SUPERMAN 132, October 1959, was published around August 6, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
This issue contained a rarity in the silver age, an issue length story. SUPERMAN'S OTHER LIFE (25 pgs.) was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story has been reprinted in THE GREATEST SUPERMAN STORIES EVER TOLD, SUPERMAN: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I.
- Part I: KRYPTON LIVES ON!
- Part II: FUTURO: SUPER HERO OF KRYPTON!
- Part III: SUPERMAN OF TWO WORLDS!
ACTION COMICS 257, October 1959, was published around August 27, 1959, the very day my parents got married. The issue contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
- THE REPORTER OF STEEL (12 pgs.) was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: sUPERMAN vol. I.
- Congo Bill starred in the second story of the issue, THE MAN APE SKIN DIVER (6 pgs.), written by Robert Bernstein and drawn by Howard Sherman. This was Congo Bill's 9th appearance as Congorilla.
- The 6th Supergirl solo story was titled THE THREE MAGIC WISHES, written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney. It was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the October or October/November 1959 cover date, according to Mike's Amazing World Of DC Comics.
50 years ago, 5 Superman titles were published in September 1961, the month of my 1st birthday, and carried the November 1961 cover date. They all contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢.
WORLD'S FINEST COMICS #121, SUPERMAN #149, SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE #29, ACTION COMICS #282 & ADVENTURE COMICS #290.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED SEPTEMBER 1956: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #15 & WORLD'S FINEST COMICS #84!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1959: SUPERMAN #133 &* ACTION COMICS #258!
Also, if you know the original publication information for a Superman story involving his alien zoo at his Fortress of Solitude, reprinted in the 1970 SUPERMAN BUMPER BOOK, a UK Superman hardcover anthology, post it in comments or through the contact information below.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast. Thanks to Eric Manix, Steve Rogers, J. David Weder and Michael Bradley for joining the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST facebook group!
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to email@example.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.