Download Episode 174!
During this era of comic books for the Man of Steel, the title SUPERMAN published issues ten times a year. It skipped this month, and would again for the cover date of December 1958. ACTION COMICS 245, the October 1958 issue, was published on or around August 28, 2011. It contained 32 pages and sold for the cover price of 10¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
- THE SHRINKING SUPERMAN (13 pgs.) was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW ARCHIVES vol. I, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I and SUPERMAN: THE BOTTLE CITY OF KANDOR.
- THE INTERPLANETARY SCARECROW (6 pgs.), starring Tommy Tomorrow, was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney.
- THE SECRET OF THE SUPER ANIMALS (6 pgs.), starring Congo Bill and Janu the Jungle Boy, was written by Jack Miller and drawn by Howard Sherman.
Elsewhere in DC Comics carrying the cover date of October, or October/November 1958, were 33 titles.
Next week: EPISODE 175: SUPERMAN FAMILY OF COMICS COVER DATED SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 1955: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 7 & WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 78!
In two weeks: SUPERMAN COMICS COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1958: SUPERMAN 125 & ACTION COMICS 246!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
- The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! - http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
- The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
- The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to email@example.com.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.