Download Episode 166!
Curt Swan was born on February 17, 1920. I have covered Swan's life and career in three previous episodes:
- EPISODE 2: MY FAVORITE SUPERMAN ARTIST: CURT SWAN!
- Episode 61: CURT SWAN: I FLEW WITH SUPERMAN!
- EPISODE 113: A CURT SWAN TOAST!
This episode features the first characters or titles that Curt Swan first drew stories for at the beginning of his career:
- Boy Commandos
- Newsboy Legion
- REAL FACT COMICS
- Robin's solo stories in STAR SPANGLED COMICS
- GANG BUSTERS
- Tommy Tomorrow.
The information for this episode comes from Wikipedia and MIKE'S AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS. Since only a few of Curt Swan's first stories for these characters or titles have plot synopses for them, this episode will feature a brief history of each character, group or title.
For more information about the story, THE TRUE STORY OF BATMAN AND ROBIN in REAL FACT COMICS 5, November/December 1946, go to Bill Jourdain's podcast and blog THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMICS, January 3, 2009.
Also, Michael Bailey and Jeffrey Taylor, co-hosts of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS podcast, is leading an effort to have the Superman and Batman story, DARK KNIGHT OVER METROPOLIS collected in a reprint edition. If you would like to do your part, here's how:
- E-mail Editor Ian Sattler firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your own words, explain why you think DARK KNIGHT OVER METROPOLIS should be collected.
- Be short and to the point, as well as polite. Don't be rude or demanding.
- Mention that you heard it on FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS. It's not about ego for Michael and Jeffrey. It's to give a focused voice to our efforts.
- MOST IMPORTANT: If DC agrees, pre-order the book when it is solicited so that DC knows to print enough copies.
- follow FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS and the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE at http://supermanhomepage.com for updates.
- You will be able to order it through the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, or you can order it using the Diamond Order code at your local comic book shop.
- It's important to show DC that we will follow through and actually buy this edition, so that they will be more inclined to reprint other storylines, not just for Superman, but other characters in the DC Universe.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY OF COMICS COVER DATED MARCH/APRIL 1955: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 4 & WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 75!
In 2 weeks: SUPERMAN COMICS COVER DATED AUGUST 1958: SUPERMAN :123 & ACTION COMICS 243!
For more information about MegaCon, March 25 - 27, 2011: http://www.megaconvention.com/ .
Join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow the podcast and blogs on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league, the COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! http://www.comicspodcasts.com/, the SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to email@example.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any artwork shown with the show notes is for entertainment purposes only. I do not make any money from this podcast. Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.