Download Episode 162!
This episode begins our bi-weekly look at the Silver Age Superman stories in SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS, beginning with the cover dated issues of July 1958. Next week we will continue looking at the Superman Family of titles, SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS. This podcast will alternate titles in this fashion through editor Mort Weisinger's final Superman issues in 1970.
SUPERMAN 122, July 1958, was published around May 1, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10 cents. Mort Weisinger was the editor of the Superman titles in this era. The cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. It featured the third and last story of the issue, THE SUPER SERGEANT. Otto Binder wrote all three 8 page stories in this issue, which has been reprinted in SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I.
- THE SECRETS OF THE SPACE SOUVENIRS was drawn by Al Plastino.
- SUPERMAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE was also drawn by Al Plastino. This story was featured in EPISODE 47: SUPERMAN FOR PRESIDENT!
- THE SUPER SERGEANT was pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. It was featured in EPISODE 48: SUPERMAN IN THE ARMY!
ACTION COMICS 242, June 1958, was published on May 29, 1958. It also contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
- The Superman story of the issue was the 13 page THE SUPER DUEL IN SPACE, written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino. Brainiac was first featured in EPISODE 21: BRAINIAC! This story has been reprinted in SUPERMAN IN THE FIFTIES, SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW ARCHIVES, vol. I, SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN, vol. I, SUPERMAN: THE BOTTLE CITY OF KANDOR and SUPERMAN VS. BRAINIAC.
The other two stories in this issue were:
- Tommy Tomorrow: THE TRAFFIC COP OF 2058 A. D. (6 pgs.) was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney.
- Congo Bill: SAFARI FROM SPACE (6 pgs.) was written by Jack Miller and drawn by Howard Sherman.
DC Comic published 32 titles with the July or July/August 1958 cover date.
Next Episode: THE SUPERMAN FAMILY OF TITLES COVER DATED NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 1954: SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 2 and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 73!
In two weeks: SUPERMAN: SERIAL TO CEREAL!
Join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups on facebook, and follow the podcast and blogs on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league, the COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to email@example.com.
Any artwork shown with the show notes is for entertainment purposes only. I do not make any money from this podcast. Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.